Yosemite Falcon Closures
Tuesday, 21 February 2012
Beginning March 1st, a number of Yosemite crags will be closed until the end of summer for Peregrine Falcon preservation.
Peregrine falcons are recovering from population decline. To protect this species, the Superintendent of Yosemite National Park is designating peregrine nesting cliffs as areas closed to visitor use, including climbing and slack-lining activities, until peregrine chicks have fledged and dispersed from those areas in 2012.
By order of the Superintendent of Yosemite National Park and under authority of Title 36, Code of Federal Regulations, Section 1.5(a) and Section (a)(1): The following areas are identified as cliffs closed to visitor use, including climbing activities beginning March 1, 2012 and remaining in effect until August 1, 2012, or until further notice:
Arch Rock Area
- Lower Merced River Gorge. Closure includes all routes with the following exception: routes west of and including "Later" and northeast of and including "Juliette's Flake" remain open.
- Immediately southwest of Leaning Tower. Closure includes all routes on the B.O.L.T. Wall.
All routes on the Fifi Buttress remain open.
El Capitan, Southeast Face
- Closure includes all big wall routes between and including "South Seas/Pacific Ocean Wall" to the west and "Native Son" to the east. At the base, the first 4 pitches of all routes within this area remain open.
Glacier Point, east side
- East of Glacier Point Apron. Closure includes all routes above 200 feet from the base of the cliff east of Glacier Point Apron including "A Mother's Lament" to the Illilouette Gorge.
Half Dome, South Face
- Overlooking Little Yosemite Valley. Closure includes all routes from "Autobahn" east to and including "South Face Route."
- Closed area includes Kolana Rock and Wapama Cliff (immediately west of Wapama Falls).
- Above Ahwahnee Meadow. Closure includes all routes west of "Super Slide" to the Ahwahnee Ramps, including all routes on the Rhombus Wall.
- Lower Merced Canyon. Closure includes "Super Nova" and extends west to all climbing routes on all sides of the Rostrum. The "Jungle Gym" area remains open. Slack-lining is prohibited at the summit and the top of the adjacent cliff.
Notices of climbing closures will be posted and nest sites will be monitored to provide current information on nesting status and to ensure prompt re-opening of these areas. Closures are subject to change based on current nesting status. Helicopter and other aircraft should avoid operating within ½ mile of these areas, unless necessary to protect human life. Your cooperation in complying with these temporary restrictions is greatly appreciated.
NPS created a web page about
the endangered birds
NPS's official statement can be
View the discussion thread.
blog comments powered by
back to top
Past blog entries can be found at
FIRST TIMER? START HERE!
Pipeworks Member Profile: Larry Knapp
BIW Crew at Berkeley Half Marathon
Ending the Bummer
Tag your instagram photos with:
Scroll To Top
Diablo Rock Gym
Great Western Power Co.